
I remember getting ready for school in the morning. I had my radio playing when they interupted a song to announce that a plane had just crashed into one of the Twin Towers. When I got to school the whole school was silent. Everyone was glued to a TV screen and most people were crying. My classmates and I watched in horror and despair as the second plane hit the other tower. I remember crying. I remember my best friend Realyn and I talked about what this would mean and that there would be a war soon to come. I remember watching people jump from the building and wanting to save everyone. I felt so helpless! I felt sickened! At the time I had no idea how much of an impact this event would have on my future life. When I watched the attack on our great nation my heart broke in two. 5 years later I fell in love with a United States Marine who left me after 9 months of marriage to fight the enemy who attacked our country. He missed the birth of our daughter and her first 6 months of life. Then one year after returning home from Iraq he left again for Afghanistan. I have known sacrifice! I have listened to the desparation in his voice knowing that there is nothing I can do to bring him comfort. I just have to stay on my knees and pray, all the while holding my head high and swallowing my tears for my daughters sake. There were times when I wanted to let myself break into tiny peices, but I couldn't for Zach's and Skyli's sake. I recieved a call on March 3 from Zach. All he said to me was, "I'm ok, don't worry. I love you! I have to go." I knew something was wrong because he sounded so different. He then told me that Carlos Aragon had died, then he hung up. Carlos was Zach's driver and friend. The very next day (after the phone call) Nigel Olsen was killed. In those few days there were a lot of Marines sent home due to serious injuries. There were a lot of Marines who stayed in Afghanistan with injuries as well.

Not very many people realize the sacrifice the service men and women make. They sacrifice everything they have just to make sure the terrorists don't find their way back here. I am proud of our military! They deserve the utmost respect! I will be so glad to see Carlos and Nigel again so that I can hug them and tell them thank you. I have gotten to know their families very well and I think very highly of them! They are amazing people, both the Halliday's and the Olsen's. I love them very much and will always pray for them. LCplNigel Olsen and LCpl Carlos Aragon will always remain close to my heart! There are still service members overseas who are dying. PLEASE pray for their safety and victory! I am so thankful for my wonderful husband! He is my inspration. I think the world of him and know that I am lucky to have him. He is one of the few and proud, he's my Marine and will always be! I love him with all my heart and soul! He is my hero and even though it's been a rough 4 years I wouldn't change it! Thank you babe for all that you do for your country! I am so very proud of you!

Thank you to all of those men and women who fight and stand ready to fight! This nation owes you everything! I pray for the families of the fallen! Thank you to the men and women who were there to help with 9/11. My prayers are with the families of those who were killed in this attack. I know that I have rambled on and on, but this is very important to me! I am proud to be an AMERICAN!
So beautifully put Megan. I aspire to be more like you! Your strength and sacrifice is so admirable. I truly am grateful for all of the families that have sacrificed as you have. I am so happy you are all together again :) Safe and sound! Love and miss you!
ReplyDelete